2005-12-14

Infrared

I always like to experiment with different things. These are a few pictures from the one and only time I tried infrared film. Infrared film is black and white and is very difficult (and expensive) to handle and process. However I wanted to try it. All of these pictures were shot during an overcast day through a dark red filter (so only red and infrared light got to the film).

When I took these shots I had absolutely no idea how they would turn out. I just lined up my shot and took my chances.

In this one, the sky was giving off so much IR light that a good part of the top of the picture was completely washed out.

Infrared film is not very sharp so the images are kind of fuzzy. I find that it adds a very ethereal look to the next shot of the trees.

One thing I did know about infrared film was that living things emit a lot of infrared light. So, green foliage looks white in the picture. Check out the spruce tree in the last shot.


I sometimes wish I hadn't picked winter to try this. But I love these winter photos.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I love all the shots, but I love the second one best. It's very...haunted.

10:18 AM  
Blogger fourth_fret said...

i'm crazy about both the second and fourth. the third one kind of tweaks me out some... like, those trees are just aching to devour life.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

The third makes me think of Lord of the Rings in that the rightmost tree looks like a young Ent.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home