2006-01-26

"Painting" with Light

I like to experiment with the camera to get different effects. Take for instance this river:

Stopped River

The picture is what most cameras will automatically give you for the time of day and the light levels - a wide open aperture and a fast shutter speed. This has the effect of freezing a moment in time. However, does it show the movement of the water? Not really.

Take a look at the second picture of the same spot:

Flowing River

I love the way the blur of the water conveys the movement. By closing the aperature, I forced a much slower speed (I think this was about 1/2s. The longer exposure allowed the bright coloured foam in the water to "paint" the film. I've tried similar things with stars and traffic, but I have never found the right place to get satisfactory results.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interestingly... in THIS shot I actually prefer the faster speed. Slowing the shot down smooths out the river, but also makes it seem calmer.

With this framing the background seems a very rugged and wild with water spraying and foaming over the rocks.

In any case the two photo's end up showing different aspects of the same river.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home